Pages

20 April, 2011

Carrie with Children: Down Syndrome: A Mom’s Response to Wonkette & Jack Stuef

I found this post on Facebook through Melissa at Life as a Sippy Cup Mom. The emotions I feel right now are overwhelming. I can not believe a grown man your poke fun to a 3 year old boy who had no controll over who he was born to or what he was born with. It is people like this that make me want to shelter my children for ever. I just hope I raise my girls to accept everyone, even Mr. Steuf, for who and what they are.



Today the political blog, Wonkette poked fun at it being Sarah Palin’s son’s birthday. And I bet you’re thinking it had to do with politics… nope. Palin’s son Trig has Down syndrome. In addition to many demeaning and terrible statements, “writer” (and I use that word lightly) Jack Stuef said this in his “story” -


"What’s he dreaming about? Nothing. He’s retarded."


As the parent of a child with Down syndrome, consider me sad, angry and confused. I believe in free speech, but this just goes too far. This is much bigger than politics….this is a full on attack to a mother and her child. I feel there is no purpose to his “article” except causing harm to others…and ultimately cause a storm of site visits and recognition.
I know there will be times in my daughter’s future where we will face individuals who find it funny and “cool” to make fun of others. I plan on crossing the bridge as I get to it… and for now, I will fight in defending others who are attacked over their disability.

As I’ve said many times before, my daughter (and every child with Down syndrome) is just like any other child – she eats, she sleeps, laughs, plays and cries..she just has an extra chromosome.

I encourage you to join me in signing the petition at Change.org asking Wonkette to apologize for mocking Down syndrome. Wonkette needs to be held accountable for their actions. I hope their advertisers are aware that their dollars are going to a site that trivializes disabilities.


UPDATE: Apparently, the domain www.JackStuef.com was available for purchase this evening and from what I’ve read online, someone bought it and redirected it to the National Down Syndrome Society’s donation page. Kudos to the smart person who came up with that idea!



(Editor note: To be fair, I provided a link to this story. It hurts me to think that I’m helping their cause in providing them with more site hits.)


Cassie note: Jack Stuef's response to the uproar he created was this:
UPDATE: I regret this post and using the word “retarded” in a reference to Sarah Palin’s child. It’s not nice, and is not necessary, but I take responsibility for writing it. For those who came and are offended by this post: I’m sorry, of course. But I stand by my criticism of Sarah Palin using her child as a political prop.



–Jack Stuef
I would also like to make sure you check out the post abd even look at some of the pokes he made through pictures. To attack someone's child, whether their mother is a political person or Jane Smith on the street, is complete off gaurd!

1 comment:

Joy said...

Wow. Sometimes it's amazing to me the people that society deem to have value vs those they don't. I'd gladly spend a year with a 100 people with DS than 1 hour with that ass.