I want to be clearer and more specific about the effect the CPSIA (Consumer Products Safety
Improvement Act) will have on reselling when it goes into effect on February 10.
As clear as I can be, that is, since it seems there's an awful lot of
confusion.You will no longer be able to place used children's clothes or toys
into the "stream of commerce" unless you can prove that they've been tested for
lead and pthalates. Items manufactured after Feb. 10 will boast a permanent
tracking label which will do just that. As I and others understand it, that
means no selling items without such proof on ebay, Craigslist, yard sales, and
church/organization consignment sales (See if your favorite sales
are still scheduled). Of course, that means no
buying kids' clothes and toys without the label from these sources either. This
act could easily triple the amount that many families pay to clothe their kid
until there are enough second-hand items manufactured after Feb. 10 to replenish
the second-hand market (and even then it's likely that prices at thrift stores,
etc. will be higher due to the added cost of testing them). It will absolutely
eliminate the notion of recouping any of the cost of older items through
reselling.What about donations? My research tells me that you won't be able to
donate your used kids' clothing and toys to Goodwill, the Salvation Army, or any
place that would resells. They'd have to have proof that you had it tested for
lead and pthalates. What that means for charities like Project Linus, which
gives blankets to hospitalized newborns, or to charities that distribute
clothing and toys without selling them, is unknown.So can you give away your
stuff on Freepeats, Freecycle, and Craigslist? What about swap meets? I've found
one commenter that says no. Beyond that, there's little mention of it.I do know
one thing: If the government wants individuals to comply with this Act, it's
going to have to do a better job of informing them. Until the government informs
me otherwise, I'm going to assume that giving away your stuff on Freepeats will
be okay.For more info on the Consumer Products Safety Improvement Act, see this post.
Now the issues I have here is that there have been some major cuts at Dave's work and this was how I planned on clothing Caelyn this summer. I know I would get some items from my parents and aunts, but the bulk of her wardrobe was going to be second hand. I had already started separating items from when Chloe was little to take in to sell to the shop. I go to one specific one since they take the majority of name brands and that is what I have from Chloe. I also am taking my maternity clothes in there as well. I am just really bummed. Is there anything else the government would like to do to hurt the working class anymore?
P.s. I know I said I would have some Christmas pictures up a few days ago, I have lots to share but currently our camera has been misplaced. So as soon as I find it, I will do the posting.


1 comment:
This is such a PITA!!!! Most of my kids clothes come from 2nd hand stores. They have been since they were little tiny. They are VERY well dressed (if I may say so myself). They have always worn name brand clothes.
This will be no more. It is really sad that they are doing this. It is really going to hurt places like Once Upon a Child where all they sell is kids stuff. This could put them out of business!
Post a Comment