Pages

06 June, 2008

Chloe and her play room

Since we have made one of the bedrooms into a play room, there has been a storage issue. Okay, there was no issue cause there was just no storage. When we started the room I thought just wall shelves would be fine, since I really wanted to display my Disney Snowglobes (I started collecting them back in high school. Everyone is made by Disney- they are all originals. I even have like 3 that are considered "retired" and I hunted them down for like a year..lol). I also figured I would have enough shelf space for Chloe's books. Well, I was totally wrong on the storage issue. For about a year I hated the room because I didn't have any place to actually store her toys thus I never really cleaned it outside of running the vacuum in the room. I mean seriously what was the purpose, Chloe would destroy it seconds after I got it picked up. Well, this week we finally got storage shelves. And I am extremely happy with them. While yes, she still destroys the room, but now there is a place I can tell her to put it when we clean up. It isn't just me going in there closing the door and trying to pick up. Sunday my goal is to make little signs to attach to the cloth baskets with pictures and words so she can see herself where the items belong. (Notes: 1. Not only is there snowglobes, Chloe has been receiving her Aunt Nicole's Barbie dolls as part of her Christmas gifts. My sister collected Barbies and has a great number of expensive collector editions. My dad though did by Chloe a "fishing Barbie" that you can sort of see in the picture on the above right. 2. Anyone else have a Pee Wee Herman doll growing up? He is in great condition other than his pull cord doesn't work. Makes me sad that I can hear him say, " I know you are but what am I." hehe) So those were the original plan.

The new plan includes cubby shelves and cloth baskets. Much much nicer!!! The basket's "hide" some of the toys while the cubbies with no baskets are perfect for her books. I am so excited. The next steps for the play room include some painting. My friend Melissa has "volunteered" to help me paint come colorful shapes on the walls to give the room more of a fun feel instead of blah like the white walls now do. I think we are even going to be putting the color and name of the shape either next to the shape or in the shape. I have lots of paint left over from when we painted the nursery that I am going to use. I am hoping to get this finished before we start working on Chloe's room, but I will not hold my breath. I know we had mentioned doing it before Melissa went back to work form maternity leave as well. We will see.

Dave and I also moved our (well really mine cause Dave uses his laptop more) desktop upstairs so I can start using it more. I mean it is 2 yrs only and I probably only have used it 30 times..lol. I just never go downstairs unless I actually do some laundry. I am also doing some research for someone so I really wanted it up stairs so I can work while Chloe is in her playroom. I still have some things I would like to do, like put up a cork board or some kind of organizational thing on the back wall, but all in all it is what I was wanting. I placed the desk and computer in the closet since we really don't need a closet in the play room. And in the future we already have a desk for the girls when they hit school age, if we are here that long. Dave says he is not going to take the desk out of the closet. It fit but it was a close squeeze. June 10th, I am having the phone line run in the playroom so I can connect to the internet. I can't wait. Any suggestions on how to make this a mini adult area in the midst of kid chaos?
So on top of doing all this in the playroom, I have been working on the front bedroom putting some items on craigslist and going through old clothes of Dave and mine. Today I am actually going to start going through some of Chloe's clothes to pick out what I want to keep and get ride of. We are having a garage sale at my mom's house in the next couple weeks so I want to get ride of lots of stuff. I am getting all the clutter out of out lives cause I know in the next few years we will get more with having 2 girls..lol.










1 comment:

Melissa said...

Woo Hoo! The cubbies look great! I can not wait to paint those shapes. Maybe we can start that this week? Especially since you already have paint! I love to do things like this...I can't wait!