Pages

19 June, 2008

Our Long Awaited Patio

So a long while back I mentioned that we were expanding our patio to make it bigger (hmm maybe I didn't cause I didn't see a post). It was originally about 100 square feet and now it is about (I think over though) 290 square feet. It is wonderful.
So here is the recap, two years ago we started to have issues with our living room ceiling. Well come to find out the screened in porch was some of the issue so to fix the ceiling we had to tear down the screened porch and have new dry wall put up in the living room. So once the screened porch was down, we decided that we wanted to make the patio bigger. That meant we needed to build a retaining wall. Well we were fortunate enough to get the blocks free from my aunt who was doing some remodeling of her retaining wall at her house, so for free we got about 8 pallets of the pink blocks with caps. Originally Dave and I thought about getting his guy friends together and tackling it but we decided against that and hired someone my dad uses for his company. So by mid summer we had our wall built (sorry I have no pictures to this point thought I did). So now it is 2008. Back in March we got a quote on the price for the concrete to be poured. Well, then it flooded and the concrete guys got backed up at work. Well, finally yesterday they were able to start the process and officially by mid morning our patio was poured and completed!

So the original game plan was to remove the existing concrete and pour an entirely new patio. Well, after 3 hours of working yesterday, the company decided that it would just be best to pour over the existing concrete (to save our budget!). Apparently when the house was build back in the 1960s, they made the patio about 8 inches thick (from what Dave and I measures off of the one area of the patio). This small patio is original to the house. So the first two pictures are from Wednesday's work. At least the corner they were able to tear up was enough to be the filler..lol. You can also see how much more area we added to the patio in these pictures. So today is when they came to pour the patio. Let me explain that there is only one small issue with the patio now. Because they concrete was not able to be removed, our wall is actually about 5 inches to short, thus causing overage on the concrete. But the goal is to go out and get one more layer of blocks (no we don't have any left over which makes us sad) to raise the wall up more. (Oh this next picture as taken from inside the house of one of the guys that were there to pour the patio. I just wanted an "in progress" picture..lol) So we officially have decided that we either need to add another layer of blocks, caps, or even possibly just put some rectangle shaped planters on the outer part of the patio. The other thing my father (God love him but why he doesn't think of this when we originally started, I mean he is a builder) pointed out is now because of the height we need to add a railing. So now we have another project that will for sure have to be done here soon, because Chloe is like her father and is a daredevil and might try to jump off the patio. Our dog is silly and does so who's to say Chloe won't think she can. But I am so thrilled to know that next weekend we will be getting our table and chairs from my parents and the matching swing to put on the patio. And I really can't wait to have people over to sit around out patio and just shoot the shit. Yes I am looking forward to sitting on the patio this September and drinking a beer! I already told Dave that next Father's Day I am going to get a fire pit for him to use on the patio. Heck I am even tempted to have some people over after the baby is born for a "Meet our New Daughter" party.
Note: on the last picture you can see how much higher the concrete had to be from the "not being able to remove the originally concrete." So you can see the reasons for adding either another set of block, just another set of caps, or doing planters. The planters might be an problem because we need to add a railing to make the patio up to "code."

No comments: