Pages

07 July, 2008

Catch of my Life!!

No I am not talking about my husband. But yes he was a great catch. I will go into more detail later on how our weekend at the lake was, but I wanted to share about this "big catch."

I am 28 years old. I have been fishing for as long as I can remember. My earliest memory of fishing was from the 80s when we would go to Florida with my grandma and grandpa and we would fish in the canal. I can remember my grandpa taking a fish we caught and putting it straight on the grill for dinner. I can also remember going to a lake with my dad ( I don't remember that lake) and it being very cold and actually iced over. I can remember freezing my butt off in the boat with him to go fish and hearing the ice crack as we drove along. My mom and sister were always the smart ones and stayed in the cabin. So for years I have been fishing, or attempting fishing. Well, all that practice had finally paid off. I can officially say I have caught a big fish. Saturday night Dave and I went fishing while at the lake (off the dock of course) and I got my catch of a lifetime.

Here is how it went. Dave and I were there to really just crappie fish. I put a bobber on my line because that is my preference to fish. He on the other hand just dropped his line right in the water. Right away he got a hit and pulled in this really nice crappie. Well, we decided to keep it so he was walking to the boat to fill the live well. I thus dropped my line in, but my stupid bobber wasn't working, well it wasn't standing up. I figured it was caught on something to I started messing with it to try and get it to work. Well, I pulled up on the line and then my pole instantly bent in half. It bent so much that I was honestly surprised that it didn't snap right in half. Well, this is about when I am sure the entire dock thought I was going into labor or something. I instantly started screaming at Dave to get back to me. I had no clue what was on the other end of the line, but I knew it was huge. I figured I had a drum, a gar, or a carp. Then this fish came up to the surface and I saw a huge fish, still not knowing what it was, my mind went hmm is that a walleye. I then instantly started to scream for a net. There were two boys (maybe early teens like 12-13) in a boat 2 stalls down and I looked at them and yelled, "please find me a net." They started jumping in the other boats looking for a net to help me, Dave finally made his way back (and made sure to let me know he just threw his crappie back in the water cause he didn't know what was going on) and the fish came up again. The fish was just kinda laying there from being tired so Dave was able to grab it. That is when we realized what it really was, a Large Mouth Bass. Dave's entire fist fit in the fish's mouth. It was the biggest fish I had ever seen in person or caught. I was floating on cloud nine. I think Dave was jealous that it was me and not him. We got the hook out and went straight to the marina to get that sucker on the scale. I have to say I was one proud woman that day. I thought for sure from all the excitement I was going to put myself into labor, but it would have been worth it...lol (just kidding) The verdict: 5 lbs 9 oz. We didn't measure the fish but it was huge. I could not get ahold of my parents so they didn't get to see it and the only camera we had was on my cell phone so sorry the picture's aren't that great. But what an exciting day. My dad was bummed that he didn't see it but he was sure proud that I caught it, I think he went through his entire phone book to call people to tell them about it that were at the lake. And of course because I was yelling during the process, I was the talk of the resort..lol. Here is my biggest catch!

Large Mouth Bass - Saturday July 5, 2008

5 lbs 9 oz.

Sorry these pictures are horrible, I would have gotten fancied up if I would have known I would need pictures taken..lol

2 comments:

Trisha said...

Haha, that is awesome!
Great job!

Look at that adorable baby belly also! :)

Melissa said...

Woo Hoo! That's a big fish. Bigger than anyone I have ever caught. BTW...I fish too!!! But I don't touch them...or the bait. hehe